Patterns Broken

Transitions, #1

tran·​si·​tion | noun a passage, movement, or development from one state, place, or style to another

1-PatternsBroken-Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

Transition means things are no longer the same. A pattern is broken; habits have changed; our routine is disoriented. New has replaced old and the unfamiliar supersedes the comfortable. Confidence wobbles and life becomes a little scary.

Some transitions are easy—like going from third grade to fourth grade, or moving to a bigger and better home, or being promoted in the same company. Other transitions are challenging—like going from high school to college (for the parent as well as the student), or downsizing, or embarking on a new career.

Every beginning comes on the heels of an ending. Patterns broken by choice are easier to accept than those forced on us but, either way, life is difficult if we bemoan what once was. Only by releasing the past will we be able to embrace a new venture.

Transition means patterns are broken, but also that discoveries await. Be an adventurer and accept change as a chance to experience new vistas with God. He has opportunities for you that will fulfill wonderful, trustworthy plans for your life.

• “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.” Isa. 48:17
  • “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.” Ps. 32:8
  • Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. Gal. 5:25 (NLT)
  • I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Ps. 16:7-8
Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

6 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Maude Carolan Pych
    Sep 05, 2019 @ 20:54:58

I was speaking with a friend tonight who has undergone a major change of life. Her husband has advanced Alzheimer’s. She misses the man that he was. He no longer speaks and they cannot do any of the things they did together. We reminded her of our love and daily prayers on their behalf, but she has found this change to be overwhelming. Lord, my friend needs the Light of Your presence and the assurance of Your great love. Amen.

2. Barbara
    Sep 05, 2019 @ 21:57:56

Amen to your prayer. What a difficult transition, Maude, one not sought but forced on her. I’m so glad we can trust our Lord to work all things together for a blessing, even when we can’t comprehend it. She is blessed to have your friendship.

3. Faith McGrath
    Sep 06, 2019 @ 11:51:24

Amen also! After a major life change I find it hard to delight moment by moment in the unknown of what God is doing because I am “looking back” and wish I could remain in the joy of what he has done in the past. He shows me not to “look back” and most importantly not to “dwell in the past” because my eyes are not “looking ahead” with eyes fixed on Jesus (Heb 12:2). When I look back I stumble in my trust that God is in control and doing a “new thing.” (Isaiah 43:16, 18-19).

I pray transitions keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, to do that I must be looking ahead and not behind. Thank you, Father, that you are ahead of “us” in transitions.

• Barbara
      Sep 06, 2019 @ 12:22:22

Well said, Faith. I have to regard my past (even the hard things) as groundwork for blessings I may not yet see. If I look back with longing, I can’t be effective in the present or anticipate God’s purposes for the future. Thanks for sharing.

4. Carol
    Sep 12, 2019 @ 23:48:02

It’s been a rough month for us. My Dad died on Sunday. He had surgery, went to rehab, and came home to die. He lived with my husband and I for almost two decades. I’ve not gone on my email as usual until today. God knew that I needed this, Barbara. Thank you. We will be changing our patterns with God in charge.

• Barbara
      Sep 13, 2019 @ 10:24:47

That is one of the changes we don’t ask for. I’m grateful for the wonderful time you had with your father. It will be a big adjustment for you when so much of your attention revolved around him. I’m confident God has new opportunities for you & your husband.